EnglishFrenchGermanItalianJapanesePortugueseRussianSpanish

MolluscumRx Blog
MolluscumRx Blog

Your Questions Answered: Is Molluscum Contagiosum an STD?

Sexually transmitted diseases are a common affliction among adults, and can be dangerous if left untreated. Among STDs, molluscum contagiosum is one of the less severe; however, treatment is still essential.

Molluscum contagiosum (MCV) is an STD caused by a poxvirus, a family of viruses that date back hundreds of years. MCV is spread through skin-to-skin contact, and is therefore easily transmitted through sexual intercourse.

Is molluscum contagiosum an STD?

Molluscum contagiosum is considered an STD and should be treated. Here are some key facts that you should know about MCV and how it can affect you:

• Molluscum contagiosum is a highly-contagious STD – Although more common in children, MCV can be transmitted between adults, and is most often transmitted in adults through sexual intercourse. If you or your partner has MCV lesions, then you are at risk of contracting the virus.
  • MCV is relatively painless – Unlike other STDs, molluscum contagiosum typically does not cause any pain. The lesions can; however, become infected if left untreated.
  • Without treatment, molluscum contagiosum will go away…in a few years – If you’re thinking about letting MCV “run its course,” think again. Lesions can take up to four years to heal on their own, and you are highly contagious as long as you have lesions on your skin (view images of Molluscum Contagiosum).
  • Molluscum contagiosum is an external STD – This means that MCV lesions will only appear on the skin – outside your body. If you have symptoms that are not on the skin, you should consult your doctor, as these are likely caused by another source.
  • MCV is rarely seen in healthy adults – While adults can contract molluscum contagiosum through sexual activity, it is rarely seen in adults who are healthy. Instead, MCV is typically found in adults with compromised immune systems (from cancer, HIV/AIDS or other medical afflictions).
  • Molluscum contagiosum can be spotted – If you believe you may have MCV, you should see your doctor. You can identify them fairly well from home; however, by looking for rounded, pink-to-skin colored bumps or lesions that have a small indention in the middle. Identifying these lesions, which are typically 2 to 5mm in diameter, is often an indicator of molluscum contagiosum.
  • Several treatment options are available – Traditional treatments include cutting, freezing or burning lesions with acid; however, there are natural remedies for molluscum contagiosum available that offer a painless, more discreet method for treating MCV.

Looking for a safe and natural treatment for molluscum contagiosum?

MolluscumRx is an all-natural, pain-free treatment for MCV across the body, including the genitals. Learn more about molluscum contagiosum in adults or order your treatment today.

48 responses to “Your Questions Answered: Is Molluscum Contagiosum an STD?”

1. Anna Morton says:

Hi I am 31 weeks pregnant and have molloscum around the lower buttock area is your product safe to use during pregnancy?

Hi,

The product should be safe to use. We have not experienced any problems with pregnant women using the product.

Feel free to call our office if you would like to discuss further.

2. Ad says:

My grandchildren have molluscum contagiousm. I care for them. Am I at risk of getting this? I am 65 yrs old and had shingles a year ago?

• MolluscumRx says:

I would not worry about contracting the disease from your grandchildren, your risk is minimal. The reason children are so susceptible to molluscum is due to the fact that their immune systems are not fully developed.

In all the time we have been selling our product, I have never heard of a report of a parent getting the disease while treating a child.

3. Amanda Crane says:

Hi, I have started seeing someone with MCV.. what is the best way to protect myself to lessen my chances of contracting MCV?

• MolluscumRx says:

It’s very simple. Just do not come in contact with the lesions (direct body contact). Also, avoid surfaces where the lesions have touched ( towels, clothes, sheets).

Many people live with someone who has molluscum and they do not get the virus. Just use some precautions and you should be fine.

In the meantime, get them some MolluscumRx so they can get rid of that stuff.

4. Jose says:

Hi, I believe I got this through a recent sexual encounter. So are you saying people with healthy immune systems don’t normally contract this even if his sex partner currently has MCV?

• MolluscumRx says:

Not necessarily. The molluscum virus is a very unpredictable thing. The same exposure to various people can and will result in different outcomes.

So it is not unusual for an adult with a healthy immune system to contract the virus thru sexual contact.

When one partner has molluscum, it is advisable to refrain for sexual contact until the molluscum lesions are gone.

5. Alyssa says:

Can this be used on a one year old?

• MolluscumRx says:

Yes, it is safe to use MolluscumRx on a 1 year old. Please call us at any time if you have questions – (407) 850-5599.

6. Steven says:

Im on immune supressors will I still be able to have molluscum go away?

• MolluscumRx says:

Absolutely. We have treated many adults on immune suppressors.

Remember, consistency is the key. Apply the product at least twice a day and do not miss applications.

The MolluscumRx will take care of the rest.

7. Tom says:

Is the disease gone once the bumps are gone? Are you cured?
    I have heard other stds stay with you and are in your blood.

• MolluscumRx says:

Yes, the disease will be gone once the bumps are no longer there. Unless you come in contact with someone else who has molluscum, you will be fine.

8. Karen says:

What if my partner and I didn’t have other sexual partners how could we have gotten this?

• MolluscumRx says:

There are several ways. Gyms and saunas are key places. Any environments where it is easy to come into contact with other people body fluids will most likely be the culprit.

9. Tony says:

Hello,

Similar question to the post below. My partner and I have been together for 8 months and have had no other sexual partners during that time period. Is it possible that I could of had this before I met her and not known?

Thanks

• MolluscumRx says:

Probably not. 8 months is a long time for the virus to be dormant on our skin.

As stated before, there are other ways to contract molluscum besides through sexual contact. Gyms, yoga classes, saunas etc, any place where you could come into contact with surfaces where others with the virus may have been.

10. Roy says:

As confirmed by doctor i have mollascum contigiosum , i had a sexual encounter 5 months back after that i noticed 2 small bumps , thought nothing serious .
    But 45 days back i had sexual relation with another partner , after that saw the bumps are spreading now 10-12 bumps . Both the time i used protection ? so what may be the reason ??

• MolluscumRx says:

Protection is not going to protect you from molluscum. The virus spreads through contact with the skin. So, anywhere skin touches the virus, it can become infected.

Use the MolluscumRx 3 times a day. Be consistent with your treatment and those lesions will go away.

We have a very informative blog on molluscum as an STD.

11. Lily says:

So to be more specific here, the molluscum spreads sexually if your partner has it directly on their genitals? If they do not have it on the genitals and just on other areas can it still spread sexually?

12. Fiercepa says:

I’ve had molluscum contagion on my genitals since i was 12 years old and i did become sexual ly active until 21. when one of these bumps go away another one comes. At 15 i went to a sex clinic and asked what they were, the gynecologist said it was not an std and that it would go away on it’s own. every year since age 21 I’ve gotten tested and inspected and every doctor i talked to told me it’s not an std and thats it’s harmless. So this article confuses me. what bothers me more is that fact that these doctors keep telling me they will go away when they wont.

• MolluscumRx says:

Wow. That is the longest amount of time I have ever heard of someone having molluscum.

Try the MolluscumRx. You have nothing to lose since we have a money back guarantee. I would be aggressive and apply at least 3-4 times daily.

We have had great results with the product and I feel confident this could be your ticket to say goodbye to your molluscum.

13. Alice says:

Can I spread it to my family if i use the same toilet and bathtub as them? What about if we share the same towel? What is the probability they will get it through sharing of the toilet, bathtub, and towel?

• MolluscumRx says:

The answer is yes to all three. Although not likely, it is possible. If you are going to be sharing the same bathroom, just be careful and wipe (disinfectants work best) surfaces clean after you use them.

I would not advise sharing and towels or clothes.

14. Carollynn says:

Hi i was wondering if my one year old has molluscum am i and my other kids at risk. Also i have a friend girl she has hpv is it possible that my 1 year old got it from her? Please help me

• MolluscumRx says:

Yes the other kids could be at risk. Just take some basic precautions like keeping clothes, towels, sheets etc. seperate from the little ones. Molluscum is passed along by touching where the virus is present. That’s where it gets its name, molluscum contagiosum.

HPV and molluscum are two separate and distinct viruses. So no, your one year old did not get molluscum from your friend.

15. Donnell Washington says:

I have molluscum all around my genetals and in butt crack. It hurts when going #3 and small blista popped and looked like a white worm in there. How can I get rid of? I try using mud turtle gasoline. But, no help.. Thanks

• molluscumrx says:

Hello Donnell,

You can purchase our product, MolluscumRx to apply to the lesions. It is safe for the entire body including the genital area. MolluscumRx is available to purchase on our website and no prescription is required.

16. Jo says:

For me the bumps seemed to show up while I was completely alone. I wasn’t seeing anyone, or really even in the literal manner either. Can you only get them from other people?

• molluscumrx says:

Hello Jo,

For the most part, molluscum in adults is considered an STD, but it is possible to contract it from a swimming pool, hot tub, or even the gym.

17. Melanie says:

Can healthy adults get molluscum from sharing clothes with adults who have contracted the disease through sexual activity?

• molluscumrx says:

Hello Melanie,

The virus can be transmitted through towels or clothing that is being shared with other adults. To avoid contracting the virus, it is best to avoid sharing those types of things with someone who has molluscum.

18. Ty says:

I have a couple of questions. I was diagnosed 2 years ago while I was in college. Our morning baseball workout was swimming laps on a pool and of course we all shared towels. I received treatment, it went away and now 2 years later have just be diagnosed again. What causes it to reoccur? I also need clarification if molluscum is truly an STD as stated in your blog and will I have this the rest of my life. In your blog it indicates it could reoccur in people with weak immune system. I am a healthy 25 year old. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• molluscumrx says:

It can re-occur for several reasons. You may have come in contact with someone who has the virus or touched an object (towel, clothing, etc.) that someone with the virus used. It can occur again in people with a weak immune system. Molluscum is also considered an STD in adults and can be transmitted sexually.

19. Jennifer says:

My ex boyfriend just informed me that he has this. We haven’t seen each other in 8 weeks and I have no signs of it. Is there a way to be tested? How much time needs to pass before I can feel less concerned about my chances of getting it?

• molluscumrx says:

Since it is a virus, the bumps can appear at anytime due to the incubation period. There is no way to be tested for it and you will know you have it if lesions with a white waxy center appear on your skin.

20. Destiny says:

Hello,

Recently my ex boyfriend notified me that he got Molluscum as an outbreak 2 months ago. He does have a girlfriend and we have not been together sexually for over a year. Should I be concerned?

21. Angelo says:

My ex girlfriend had 4 little bumps on her face. I never knew that those small bumps are a virus called molluscum. I observed her body totally from bottom to top, she had basically no other bumbs except on her face (only 4). Now I have molluscum only on my genital. Was it possible to have gotten infected by her 4 small dots ?

22. Kim says:

Hi,
    I have molluscum on the pelvic region. I noticed it in the Summer of 2017, had it diagnosed and treated in December of 2017, and it has not gone away. Is this product safe to use while breastfeeding?

• james justison says:

Kim,

Yes, you can use this product while pregnant or while breastfeeding. It is completely safe and made of only organic plant materials, so it will not harm the body in any way.

23. PT says:

My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with the virus after seeing her OBGYN and had it removed.
    What is the average healing time and if no lesions are present – when is it ok to resume having skin to skin contact or intercourse?
    Thanks

24. Deep says:

My 2years child is infected by MCV on his face and now is under treatment.I don’t Know how has he infected.But his mother now also infected by this on her hands and just on in theigh.I don’t know whoever was infected first.Is it be infected in adults without STD?

• james justison says:

You do not have to have an STD to get Molluscum Contagiosum. Anyone with a low immune system can get this.