Have you been diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum? Or maybe you just noticed some of the tell-tale signs of the virus. Whether you have a confirmed diagnosis or you’re simply nervous about your molluscum contagiosum symptoms, there is likely one question that runs through your mind:
Is molluscum contagiosum curable?
If you’ve been stressing about MCV, there is good news: molluscum contagiosum is completely curable. Unlike other skin conditions, the molluscum contagiosum virus can be completely killed. In fact, there are several treatment options available to cure MCV:
- Acid can be used to burn away MCV lesions. This can be painful, and may result in recurrence of the virus.
- Doctors can remove lesions by cutting them away with a sharp instrument. This can result in scarring and can be painful.
- Doctors may use liquid nitrogen to freeze lesions is another method for treating molluscum contagiosum. This treatment is similar to popular treatments for warts, and can be quite painful.
- Natural treatments can be used to isolate and treat lesions on the body, offering a pain-free way to cure molluscum contagiosum without scarring.
What can I do in the meantime?
While you determine the best course of action for curing your molluscum contagiosum, the best thing you can do is try to prevent it from spreading. Here are some tips:
- Try not to scratch the lesions – Touching or scratching MCV lesions can result in spreading the virus to other parts of the body, and can make the virus that much more difficult to treat.
- Cover lesions – Using a bandage or piece of tape to cover lesions can help prevent the virus from spreading to other parts of your body, or to other people.
- Don’t share linens – MCV can be spread through touching or using infected linens. To avoid spreading the virus, avoid sharing your towels or washcloths with other people, and clean linens thoroughly using hot water.
- Don’t shave over lesions on your face or legs – For both women and men, avoid shaving over lesions, as this can lead to infection and pain. It can also make it much easier to spread the virus.